Part three of the Mountain wagon rebuild.
During the 400 kilometers I have gained a lot of experience with the Mountain wagon.
The car was finished with a few details left to do, but these details were of great importance. During the journeys the throttle sometimes squeezed which made giving gas very difficult. I had made the throttle rod too short and throttle unit was engineered too tight. Now I have moved the throttle unit and extended the distance of the rod by approximately 8 cm.
The cylinders were not yet isolated. A job that I kept pushing back because I didn't know how to make the copper casing. The insulation has now been applied. This makes a big difference in use.
The water pump also did not always work properly. The check balls were worn. I replaced them with new balls and now it works properly..
To be able to check the operation of the pumps while driving, I temporary placed a pressure gauge between the water pipe on advise from another steam car driver. You can now see exactly whether the pumps work well during the ride.
At the front, I have provided the blow-off valves with thicker brass spouts. This is only an aesthetic choice.
The only adjustment that I am going to do this season is the application of disc brakes on the front wheels. Not beautiful, but effective. The hills in Melle were sometimes a challenge. Uphill - even with a 20 ph motor - is no problem. But to go downhill safely I had to use the handbrake occasionally and even then a emergency stop would be a challenge
Steam Car Network functions as a resource for all steam car and steam bike enthusiasts. The website is constantly updated with articles, events, and informative posts to keep the community alive and growing. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns at the email address below and we will promptly reply.